At 6.45am I head into Les Mills gym to meet up with Janet and do the final fitness test for our 6 week challenge. I am nervous and a bit excited.
I know I have done the work but we had a couple of upsets on the way, week three I hit the wall and had to back off a bit. Christmas came and Janet had a family issue to work through and being holidays it was hard for me to keep myself going without a trainer. The result was a lot of beer and ham was eaten over those couple of holiday weeks (maybe three holiday weeks) anyway we got it back together in January and soldiered on. So here I am and it’s time for the truth.
We tested out over a range of exercises, measured body weight to see what all this work would deliver. The results were very good and I will list them out.
Heres the stats from the test
PAUL SOUTHWORTH FITNESS TESTING RESULTS NOVEMBER 2011
WEIGHT was 89.9KG now 86.6KG
Body Fat% was 27 now 24.4
AGE 45 ha I’m still 45 :-)
HEIGHT 183CM yep, same height.
Max number of push ups (full) - was 34 now 40
Time to complete 20 push ups with medicine ball under arm
Right – was 20 seconds now 18sec slight pause
Left - was 21 seconds with two pauses now 21 no pause
Lat pull down was 62kg now 69kg
Lying leg press was 160kg now 190kg
Bicep curls was 31.5kg (note technique elbows locked to side of body) now 36kg
Max back ext was 1min 40seconds (plate under chest ) now 2min 35secs
Max prone hold was 1min 30sec (no clasping of hands) now 2min 13seconds
Crunches in 30 seconds:
Arms reaching 9 now 12
Arms by ears 8 now 11
Biceps by ears 7 now 9
Shuttles completed in 5mins - was 15 now 18.1
I was very happy with the result it just shows you if you do the work you get the result.
So what did I learn?
- Get a trainer - a trainer will help you go way beyond where you would go yourself. You have to push hard for a result.
- Surround yourself - I’m lucky I have several groups of friends that like to be active, cyclists, walkers, swimmers etc. I found if I can make an activity social I have more fun and get out and do more.
- Make it a lifestyle - I had hicups on the way, it would have been very easy to give up, but the truth is there is ups and downs, if you can keep some consitancy you find your own groove and it all comes together.
- I eat to much - yep it’s true if you eat for two people you are going to be the size of two people. My problem is portion size for every meal, i just hoover every thing going, every meal is huge. I am slowly getting my head around a reasonable sized meal and trying to eat more vegetables.
- Get Trainer - That’s right I will say it twice, a trainer will make all the difference, without Janet i would not have got to where i am now.
Next stop - www.lakehaweaepic.co.nz I have my base fitness, and I am going to see how far I can push myself. Keep checking back for updates.
Check out My Personal Trainer
At Work: http://www.turboweb.co.nz